Latest Touring Route!
>> Discover the beauty & history of the Barmah-Millewa Forest and Murray River along the Timber Cutters Run.
- Copyright © Simon Bayliss 2008-20 Simon Bayliss
- Last Updated: 28 October 2020 28 October 2020
- Visitors: 135 135
Albury-Wodonga & Upper Murray
Upper Murray Photography
The twin towns of Albury–Wodonga staddles the Victorian/New South Wales border with the mighty Murray River (Australia's longest river) separating the two.
Combined, the two centres are home to over 100,000 residents and services the rich agricultural area spanning the upper Murray and the Riverina.
The River Murray is Australia's longest river, running a course of 2,500 km from near Mount Kosciuszko in the Australian Alps to the Southern Ocean at Goolwa, in South Australia. The catchment description of the River Murray covers three sections — upper, central and lower.
The upper River Murray catchment takes in the headwaters of the Murray and its many tributaries extending about 300 km to the Hume Dam. Located in New South Wales and Victoria, the catchment covers about 2% of the area of the Basin. Still, it provides about 17% of the water.
Lake Hume, the 20,000 hectare body of water that resulted from the damming of the Mitta Mitta and Murray river near Albury, was a project that took seven years to build and when finished in 1936, was the largest dam in the southern hemisphere and one of the biggest in the world.
To say it is a huge body of water is an understatement as water retained upstream through both the Murray and Mitta Mitta rivers stretches over 40 kilometres, and is a haven for water sports, fishing and camping.
As early as the 1860’s, landholders of the Riverina had discussed flood mitigation options but it wasn’t until the early 1900’s that work begun on a solution to better manage the seasonal flows of the Murray and Mitta Mitta rivers.
In 1919, work started on damming the Murray River just downstream from its junction with the Mitta Mitta. The Hume dam, completed in 1936, was the biggest in the southern hemisphere at the time and the resultant reservoir retained water extending 40 km upstream from the dam and covered 20,000+ hectares.
Originally designed to hold 1,500 Gigalitres, Lake Hume’s capacity was doubled in the late 1950’s to capitalise on the increased flow that resulted from the Snowy Hydro Scheme; the increase was primarily due to the tunnelled diversion of the Snowy River to the western side of the Great Dividing Range.
Lake Hume, which was named in honor of the explorer Hamilton Hume, is currently at around 40% capacity and while it may look good, it is considered low... but a lot better than the <10% of a few years back.